Darkness to Light is a Charleston, South Carolina-based national organization committed to diminish the incidence and impact of child sexual abuse, so that more children will grow up healthy and whole. Their programs seek to raise awareness of the prevalence and consequences of child sexual abuse by educating adults about the steps they can take to prevent, recognize and react responsibly to the reality of child sexual abuse.
Darkness to Light emphasizes seven steps for protecting children from sexual abuse:
- Learn the Facts and Understand the Risks: Realities—not trust—should influence your decisions regarding your child.
- Minimize Opportunity: If you eliminate or reduce one-adult/one-child situations, you’ll dramatically lower the risk of sexual abuse for your child.
- Talk About It: Children often keep abuse a secret, but barriers can be broken down by talking openly about it.
- Stay Alert: Don’t expect obvious signs when a child is being sexually abused.
- Make a Plan: Learn where to go, who to call, and how to react.
- Act on Suspicions: The future well-being of a child is at stake.
- Get Involved: Volunteer and financially support organizations that fight the tragedy of child sexual abuse.
Darkness to Light’s “Stewards of Children” program is a sexual abuse prevention training program that educates adults to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to child sexual abuse, and motivates them to courageous action. The Stewards of Children program is designed for organizations and corporations that serve children and youth.